Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Altered Cigar Box
As I posted a while back, this was my next project an altered Cigar Box. This is a swap hostessed on http://www.scrapbook.com/ , the hostess is Martica of Martica Designs. I do believe you can find her blog in the list of blogs I follow, she is very talented and tends to challenge me with her ideas of different altered swaps. In a later post I will have my first mini that goes with the box I altered.
I started with removing the inside paper and sanding down the box, not all the paper is removable as that is how the lid is hinged on. Once I scratched up all the surfaces I painted them with Acrylic paint by Americana in Sea Glass. Once that dried I started to add the paper to the top of the box. All card stock used is by DCWV Coral Couture stack and matching Solids stack. The white lace trim with beads is from Walmart, the wooden scroll, which is also painted in Sea Glass and the Metal sign are from Michael's. The metal sign is by Making Memories Girlfriends signs. I added the flowers to the metal sign and then used Icicle stickles to the petals and scroll work on the wood to add more sparkle. The picture does not show it but there is a lot of glitter in the CS already, the bird is all sparkly. The gold you can see is the latch that I added from Home Depot.
I covered the sides with a shimmery matching CS and then added this flower boarder. I do believe the boarder is from Reflections, I then Mod Pod it on to seal it to the CS and it added a little gloss to it. Now its a little shiny. I added wooden feet that first I painted Sea Glass then the lace boarder to the bottom. Needed something around the top of the CS to cover seems and had this great sparkly rik rak in my stash. It was the perfect colour and helps to tie all the colours together.
Top inside lid. Cut and added CS to the top, to cover the seams used variegated eyelash fiber from my stash. I think I purchased it at my favourite cross stitch/knitting store, Knitting Time. Added some bling and a matching butterfly both again from my stash. The butterflies I am using were sent to me by bluucaca at sb.com. I am glad I am finally finding a use for them.
Inside bottom. A couple of months ago I started to purchase fabric swatches with no idea what I would do with them LOL. Using Mod Pod I applied a thin coat and layered the fabric down and sort of mitred the fabric in the corners. Due to the colours of the DCWV stack I am using for both this box and the matching mini the orange was the closest colour of fabric I had. I really wanted to add a beaded boarder to the inside but I could no longer find them. Instead I again used the eyelash fiber to the inside to cover the seams.
I love how this turned out and I have 4 more boxes so after this swap I will probably make a couple of more. This was really fun and now I am working on the hard part, the MINI ALBUM. I will add pictures of every page as well as explanations of what I did. I am also trying to keep all the packages of the different embellishments I am using so I can credit the companies I use.
Thanks for stopping by and following my crafting experiences. God Bless you all.